Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Coleman RoadTrip Cast Aluminum Accessory Griddle


When I first purchased this grill and then for the next year or two I also thought it was terrific. Then things started to go haywire.

The lock that keeps the top fastened to the bottom was poorly designed. It eventually loosened and now one either had to hold the two pieces together or put an elastic ("bungee") cord around it or it will comes apart.

Next, the grease cup caught fire. If that wasn't bad enough, it is located right by the propane cylinder. We were able to extinguish the fire before it heated the propane bottle but not before the grease cdup melted.

THEN, while pre-heating it, the center of one of the grills completely melted through. I read the instructions before using te unit and I recall it saying not to COOK with the lid closed. I have absolutely no recollection of it saying not to PRE-HEAT with the lid closed. Net result: Another grill for $33.

As I can't readily locate my instruction manual, I'll need to find one online or somewhere to see if there is a warning about that. If so, then it's my fault. If not, then Coleman has a potential disaster on it's hands.

In any event, I've reported it to the Consumer Product Safety Commission after having gotten no satisfaction from Coleman other than them saying "the lid isn't supposed to be down."

If you buy one, make sure EVERYBODY who uses it knows that under no circumstances ever put the lid down while the flame is on. Most people who grill a lot are used to following the cooking instructions of always pre-heating--don't do it with this grill.Get more detail about Coleman RoadTrip Cast Aluminum Accessory Griddle.
 

Outdoor Cooking & Grills Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template